March 07, 2008

Abuja - Out of Nigeria


My plane touched down the runway of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, and taxied to a stop. It was my first time in FCT, the "hyped” capital of The Federal Republic of Nigeria. I had not seen anything awesome yet, but I kept my fingers crossed as I took a drive from the airport into the city. Along the way, I saw a whirlwind of dust on the side of the road. It was spinning fast and raising dry leaves. I had seen whirlwinds of the same proportion in Port Harcourt so I was not impressed.

Immediately I drove into the city, I sensed something wrong with the picture, but I could not place it. Then it hit me! There was a conspicuous absence of hawkers and beggars; also we had driven for about thirty minutes without encountering any traffic jam! That could be termed abnormal in most states of the country. Little did I know I would be seeing much more “abnormal” activity during my trip. Along the way my cheerful cab driver Abbas, pointed Zuma rock out from the many surrounding hills. What set Zuma rock apart from the rest? I did not ask, it seemed pointless to do so.

If I was waiting to be awed, I was in for a thrill. The central district was so interesting, I had to turn my head frequently so I would not miss anything. Damn that camera I forgot in Port-Harcourt! There were architectural beauties everywhere I turned; Nigeria Defense Headquarters, Radio House, Transcorp Hilton, Nicon Insurance to name a few! It seemed like the architectural firms in Abuja were trying to outdo each other by producing elaborate, breathtaking designs. Nothing so exotic as to compare with first world cities, but definitely impressive for a developing African nation. There were lots of tall buildings under construction that were certain to be eye poppers for the average unexposed Nigerian. Yet despite all this development, there were lots of greenery and plant life everywhere I turned. This was sure to please conservationists. A calm and beautiful place, Abuja boasts of some of the most beautiful views in the country, which will wow the worst skeptic and please those with refined aesthetic tastes.

There were large four lane roads that ensured a steady and free flow of traffic. The taxi cabs I saw were neat and did not spew out black carbon monoxide like those in other states. Then of course, there were the exotic rides…cars that define affluence. Peugeot 406 rides raced down the roads with other sleek automobiles. Where were the poor people I wondered? I was informed later of the “satellite towns” where the lower middle class and the poor co-inhabit because life in the big city is much too expensive. The city was unnatural by Nigerian standards. It had been forcefully weeded of the poor and needy. It was empty of real life – the larger percent of the Nigerian population- the poor. Abuja is probably the most well planned Nigerian city and the first without a durable plan for the poor. A shame, for a country with lots of the poor. If you plan to take a trip to the Federal Capital Territory, take along a fat wallet and don't forget your camera!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing bro, at the same time, thanks for the info. I will definitely have my camera on me when going to Abj, laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taxis Heathrow Airport have now started a Taxis at Abuja Airport service. So the next time you fly into Abuja International Airport try us out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kachiside

    Thank you very much.

    @Drum Poker
    Thanks for stopping by. I'll remember to check out that Taxi service any time I travel to Abuja. Did you enjoy the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog was enjoyable to read. The article was very interesting to read. I appreciate your excellent post. Also, we provide information on Why is my ASUS laptop camera not working on our website, which you need if your webcam isn't working. It is possible to solve your problem. The following steps will help you have a smooth webcam experience. See my article on the topic.

    ReplyDelete