September 07, 2015

Happiness, Like Water by Chinelo Okparanta | Book Review

Happiness, Like Water is a collection of ten compelling short stories. It begins with Chinwe and Eze in the story On Ohaeto Street. Chinwe is quiet and dutiful woman who becomes a Jehovah's Witness in order to marry Eze, a prosperous and materialistic Jehovah's Witness whom she first meets when he arrives at her mother's doorstep to preach the good news of God's Kingdom. After marriage and with the passage of time, Chinwe's disquiet grows and she questions her choices and weighs her options. The collection continues with Wahala, Fairness, Story, Story!, Runs Girl, America, Shelter, Grace, Designs, and finally Tumors and Butterflies. These are stories about relationships, domestic abuse, colorism, immigration and girls who love girls, narrated by female protagonists for the most part. Each tale sits comfortably on its own, weighty and deep, ready to be lengthened if Okparanta chooses.

When I found out Chinelo Okparanta had been raised a Jehovah's Witness I hoped that she would explore that religious background deeply in one of the stories but she didn't and that's fine. The stories America and Grace are bold in their exploration of Nigerian protagonists attracted to members of the same sex but still somewhat tame in its handling of the accompanying issues. I don't think any Nigerian author has written this openly about same sex relationships since Jude Dibia broke the ice with his debut novel, Walking With Shadows, and followed up in his third novel, Blackbird. Happiness, Like Water is a well written short story collection that can't be ignored in any line-up. Chinelo Okparanta is a bold new voice and an excellent addition to the literary throng of voices from Nigeria. Her full length novel Under the Udala Trees will be released in two weeks on September 22nd, 2015.
---
READ:
11 Questions for Jude Dibia

[Image via Goodreads]

3 comments:

  1. I agree, this collection was written well! I really loved this collection. My fave stories were : 'Story, Story!' and 'Tumors and Butterflies' . 'Runs Girl' was so sad... reminded me how cruel the world can be :(.

    I look forward to Okparanta's full novel 'Under the Udala Trees' ! I preordered it some months back hahaa.
    Ohh and Osondu, I had a question. Do you only read/review Nigerian novels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Darkowaa! I really loved Shelter, Runs Girl (yeah, that was sad), Grace, America and Tumors & Butterflies especially.

      No, I don't only review Nigerian books lol. I also review books by other African authors but yeah, I have more Nigerian book reviews in my blog archive. I finished Tendai Huchu's "The Hairdresser of Harare" two days ago and I'll blog about it soon. But yeah, I review any book from the African continent that catches my attention.

      Delete