September 17, 2008

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy - My Thoughts

Powerful prose, compelling descriptions, terrific story. This tale of forbidden love and shattered lives is told very well. With great care and attention to detail, Arundhati describes their lives in rich colour. The ending - which is really how it all began - is enthralling, touching and heartbreaking, I had to read the last two chapters again. Arundhati Roy is tremendously gifted in the art of storytelling. I have never seen this style of writing before now. The God of Small Things is a wonderful debut novel.

[Image via Vogue India]

4 comments:

  1. I can see why some people draw connections between Purple Hibiscus and The God of small things. Arundhati's attention to descriptions of the tiniest of things, which complement the story is similar to what Chimamanda Adichie does in Purple Hibiscus

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the story lines are almost the same. Abusive fathers, pickle factory and biscuit factories, Kambili and Jaja are like Rahel and Estha. My favourite novel this book is!!! I'm waiting for Roy's second novel....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine, presently in India, has since been singing this book into my ears. She has promised to bring it for me... and of course, some of Salman Rushdie's work.

    RE:

    ... thanks for the health wish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you should read it. The style might surprise you initially but you'll love it.

    About your health, that's okay. I liked your post. Sorry you were attended to by a doctor and not one of those nurses...(chuckle).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete