January 29, 2017

Welcome to Lagos by Chibundu Onuzo | Book Review

In Chibundu Onuzo's Welcome to Lagos two soldiers Chike and Yemi flee their army base because they can no longer continue with the atrocities being committed by their platoon. They desert their base on foot and under the cover of darkness with no definite plans on where they're fleeing to. Along the way they pick up a bunch of characters all of whom are fleeing something in their lives. The group heads to Lagos in the hope that they can begin life afresh. Their first night in Lagos is spent in a hotel and then financial constraints force them to make a home under a busy Lagos bridge. The menial jobs they pick up help cover their expenses but the question of how long they can continue to live this way hangs over them. Their lives change forever when they come into contact with Chief Sandayo, the former Minister of Education, who's currently on the run.

Welcome to Lagos is the first novel to be released in 2017 out of the many highly anticipated books slated for release this year. There were a lot of times during my reading, especially in the beginning quarter, that I wanted to put this book down and move to another because I was bored by the storylines. By the time I was halfway done with it I knew it wasn't one that I'd recommend. Welcome to Lagos had its moments though. I was intrigued by some plot twists and I followed through to see where it was all headed but those moments don't make up for everything else. I do have to say that I was saddened by the novel's ending. I finished it and sat there in the kitchen thinking about it all. That ending was a product of all their choices especially those made by the group leader Chike. Welcome to Lagos is one of those novels you appreciate in the end.

READ: 
The Spider King's Daughter by Chibundu Onuzo | Book Review

[Image via Amazon]

4 comments:

  1. "There were a lot of times during my reading, especially in the beginning quarter, that I wanted to put this book down and move to another"

    Why did you want to put it down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary! It's because I was bored with the storylines. I've updated the post to reflect that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review Osondu. From the blurb, the plot never seemed to interest me... I'll keep this review in mind if I ever decide to purchase it. I loved her debut - The Spider King's Daughter though. And thanks for the link you used of the most anticipated books of 2017 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darkowaa! Yeah I feel ya. I liked The Spider Kings Daughter too. Hopefully we love her next offering. Regarding linking your blog, you're welcome :)

      Delete