September 07, 2016

July's People by Nadine Gordimer | Book Review

Bam and Maureen Smales are a caucasian couple with three kids living in apartheid South Africa. This story begins with them in a village hut being attended to by their black manservant, July. The sudden war in South Africa, a product of racial tensions, has forced everyone to flee the cities and the Smales family is in especial danger because of their race. July's extended family aren't welcoming but they take the Smales in. July's mom even vacates her personal hut at his request so the Smales can stay in it. The plan seems to be to hide out in July's village until it's safe but tensions are rising within the camp. For 15 years July has been the paid manservant who does their bidding but now the Smales are helpless and dependent on July for a lot of things, including their safety. Will they continue to stay with July's People or will they head out on their own?

July's People is about the racism in South Africa at a certain point in time. The story doesn't start out in an exciting way and for a while the only reason I'm clinging on is because it's written by Nadine Gordimer. She's a revered South African author. She won the Booker Prize in 1974 and the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1991. I've wanted to read her books for some time now and I initially planned to start with The Conservationist but I changed my mind. Anyway, July's People doesn't build up to some great tragedy or jaw dropping event. It just keeps trudging along for 160 pages. Do I like July's People? Yeah, it was okay... Would I recommend it to anyone? No.

[Image via Amazon]

5 comments:

  1. I tried reading Crimes of Conscience: Selected Short Stories by Gordimer.. I couldn't.. I still have it on my shelf! I am glad at least you finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God I'm not the only one who had difficulty. Thank you Mary! I'm going to try to read "The Conservationist" just because...lol. Hopefully I can finish it too.

      Delete
  2. LMAO! The ending killed me hahaa. 'Burger's Daughter' is the only book of Nadine Gordimer's thats on my TBR :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I had to be honest :P. Burger's Daughter is one of the frequently recommended Gordimer book but the synopsis didn't interest me. I'm going to read "The Conservationist" and then I'm done with Gordimer titles. I haven't read your review for Homegoing yet cause I just want to go into it fresh. I'm like 30 pages deep or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, the synopsis isn't appealing lol. Awesome! I look forward to your thoughts on Homegoing. Yeah, the review is basically me raving about the book. It has its inaccuracies, but overall I found it very indulging. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete