March 17, 2008

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie- My Thoughts


I had heard so much about Chimamanda Adichie's books (Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun) that I decided to purchase them and see what all the buzz was about. I haven't regretted that decision. Her books have affected me and the way I write. After reading Purple Hibiscus, I penned this down:

None of the reviews I read before beginning Purple Hibiscus prepared me for this phenomenal novel. An avid reader, I have never come across a book this powerful. I fell out of its pages sapped of my strength and close to tears. "Poignant" doesn't quite describe the story, "breathing" doesn't capture the characters, "exquisite" in no way describes the way Adichie writes. I have never seen anything like it. Adichie writes the way I dream of writing when I dream. Only The Times review manages to capture Purple Hibiscus - 'Immensely powerful'.

----
I visited Chimamanda Adichie & Chinua Achebe's old house on the University of Nigeria, Nsukka campus! Read my post HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment