March 17, 2008

The ONYEKA NWELUE Effect


This past weekend was unlike the others. The reason? Onyeka Nwelue stopped by to visit me in my hostel room on the Nsukka campus of the University of Nigeria. You are all wondering by now who Onyeka Nwelue is. Kindly wait till the end of this post to find out.

Onyeka Nwelue paid me a visit on the 15th of March 2008. Quite frankly, there's nothing unusual in that gesture (Onyeka, a few other students and I are members of a yet to be christened group of young, aspiring writers who meet often to criticize each others literary work) because we are colleagues. I chatted with him for a little while and then I had to hurry to the hospital to visit a friend who fell off a three storey building (another reason this weekend was unlike the others. See full gist in subsequent blog post). I left Onyeka in the company of a fellow writer and three of my roommates and then I rushed off to the hospital.

I returned late that day and it wasn't until Sunday morning that my roommates began discussing Onyeka Nwelue. They talked about everything from his atheist beliefs, to his literary work, to the mystery called "Yoga". They talked about the way he spoke with conviction about beliefs considered unusual in this part of Africa and they marveled at his impressive online resume.

My roommates and I are diverse people with various religious beliefs and backgrounds who try hard to put up with each other. A lot of our discussions center on religion because we are religiously diverse - two staunch Catholics, a traditionalist, a Pentecostal, an Anglican and a Jehovah's Witness. They would have taken to him without hesitation were it not for his atheist beliefs. None of us had ever come across someone who did not believe there was a God up there. A God who sees all things. A God who sent his Son, Jesus, to redeem us. A God who listens to our selfish prayers. A God who forgives us abundantly... The list is endless. Nwelue saying God's word the Bible is as fictitious as Harry Potter was disturbing to all.

Everyone tried to take it off their mind and we huddled around two laptop computers so we could "google" Onyeka Nwelue. The Devilfinder search engine turned out about 176 results!! Everyone was suddenly in awe of the boy who had strolled into our room the previous day without putting on airs, causing us to ignorantly assume he was as obscure as the rest of us. The room was a little subdued as we read and discussed the many things he had posted on Poemhunter.com, his narrative on eclectica.com, and his blog.

Someone came up with the idea and we all scrambled to "google" our names. One after the other (not in order) the eight of us keyed in our full names with surnames and waited half expectantly for the page to load. Half expectantly in the sense that we knew we had done nothing to warrant the Google engine listing our obscure names but hoping that somehow we were on the same level with Onyeka. Of the eight names, four had listings. Of the four names listed, two were related unspectacularly to our school's website, one was linked to an online association, the other was listed because of his connection with an online community. Frustrated, a few of us kicked around the room. For the first time knowing we were "nobody" made us all feel ill at ease. It was as I kicked around that I remembered Onyeka's words one afternoon as we sat in an internet cafe. He drew my attention to the number of student obituaries that were posted all over school and said he was determined not to leave this world without making an impact on it. Hearing that come from someone my age was rousing.

"The Boy with the Steaming Pen" is what an article in the Nigerian Guardian newspaper called him. Onyeka Nwelue at twenty years of age has accomplished quite a lot I must say. I cannot begin to list everything he has achieved or overcome. Check out his blog and search for his writings on the internet. You will not leave without a reaction.
-----
I visited Chimamanda Adichie & Chinua Achebe's old house on the University of Nigeria, Nsukka campus! Read my post HERE!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Osondu.

    I didn't know I could simply put your roommates into such confusion by visiting your hostel.

    Hugs,

    Onyeka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite impressive we might say. Kinda like to me, though. I had to use "Anonymous" as my identity, but pls halfly forgive me.
    Well, it's true, Onyeka Nwelue is gifted. I have read about him in different internet pages, including www.poemhunter.com . I happen to have some poems posted there, too. I believe you tend to find my name under his poem, where you see "people who read Onyeka Nwelue also read"
    My name is Thompson Oyonmi, born in Nigeria, and currently staying in United States.
    I don't do "BLOGGINGS", so I really can't tell if I'm gonna be on this again, but you can always leave a message at www.poemhunter.com
    Infact I was browsing "Onyeka Nwelue" when I saw this blog. I must say I'm impressed with you (and your team) for this.
    I know I've used more space than expected, and I apologise for that, though worth using.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Thompson-
    the space was definitely worth using man!!! LMAo!! sorry i'm just replyin to this, i was checking this post out and saw that I hadn't replied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ALWAYS recognize originality in a human being. Normally it's someone who doesnt follow the trends, and has original, often controversial ideas. Apart from this, Onyeka, my dear friend, and a client of DETM my talent management company, is insightful, intelligent and incredibly mature. I'm goad youn got to meet him. Know, that one day you'll say with REAL pride 'I met Onyeka.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Debbie,
    Well spoken. He's definitely unique. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Onyeka is great, natural, intelligent, funny.

    ReplyDelete