April 04, 2008

Into the Den of Lions

I had ridden into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka campus, not on a mule flanked by an adoring, enamourous crowd, or in a chauffeur driven Pontiac, but as a skinny boy on a motorbike, bringing along with me, big dreams that quadrupled my body size. Weighed down innately with the desire to make something of myself, the next step was to find an institution that would conducively help me achieve that. I strongly believe UNN will help me hone my natural talents, like it helped Dora Akunyili, Charles Soludo and all other illustrious Lions.

My journey into the Lion’s den had not been easy. UNN’s selective process had skipped me twice. I remember vividly years back when as a wide-eyed kid, I listened to interesting tales from a members of my immediate and extended family - all Lions, about the University of Nigeria; while dreaming, working, praying and hoping I would join the ranks of illustrious people who proudly bear the car bumper sticker “A UNN graduate is ahead of you naturally”.

I looked up to see my proud family beaming at me, and clicking away furiously as I made my way from my matriculation address in my forest green matriculation robes. Some of my fellow students looked on in bewilderment but I didn’t give a purr. This was my day, and I was as proud of my family as they were of me. Words of wisdom from gray haired lecturers some of whom were Lions, reverberated in my head – “…your future begins now…” and “…what do you want to achieve?…the answer lies in you”.

So far, I have learned that it’s one thing to gain admission into the prestigious University of Nigeria, it’s quite another to avoid getting sidetracked, stay focused, and live up to your expectations and that of everyone else. As my Alma Mater pronounced, “Our dreams will come true”, I’m determined to graduate from the University of Nigeria with a bang, or should I say – a ROAR.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry you're roar will be louder than any UNN grad I know.
    You're very good at describing details...as u know you're naturally ahead of them.

    ReplyDelete